In 2016 the MIAAA set up a Mentor Program to welcome and support the first year athletic directors in Missouri. The Board appoints a Mentor Coordinator, who is charged with delivering this program. The goal is to make the first year for athletic directors run smoothly and the Mentor Coordinator is there to welcome, support and share helpful information throughout the year.
How it Works:
When a new athletic director is hired, his/her name is given to the Mentor Coordinator, who then adds that name to the master list. The Mentor Coordinator will reach out with a welcome letter and helpful information about upcoming meetings. After the initial meeting, contact by the Mentor Coordinator will be 2-3 times a month with helpful reminders. The Mentor Coordinator is also available by phone or email to answer questions as they arise. And there are times when the Mentor Coordinator is able to visit the school and meet in person.
The goal is to share that there is no dumb question and the Mentor Coordinator is able to answer all questions in a timely fashion.
When Hired: First Year Athletic Directors will receive a welcome letter with information about upcoming meetings.
Summer MSHSAA AD Workshop: At the July meeting held at the MSHSAA office, there is a breakout session for all First Year Athletic Directors with the Mentor Coordinator.
August – May: The Mentor Coordinator will send emails 2 – 3 times a month to share helpful hints and important information.
April: There is a meeting for all First Year Athletic Directors at the MIAAA State Conference. It is also recommended that the First Year Athletic Directors take the LTC 501 class at the conference.
MIAAA Membership Benefits
Being a member of the MIAAA enables you to attend the state athletic director’s conference in
April and receive the quarterly MIAAA newsletters. Also, MIAAA members receive life
Being a member of the MIAAA really helps you as an athletic director as you are involved with
other athletic directors from across the state.
To register, go to Iwantregistered.com.
NIAAA Membership Benefits
- Interscholastic Athletic Administration, a quarterly professional journal written by and for athletic administrators
- $2,000,000 student injury and property damage liability insurance while performing the duties of an athletic administrator
- $2500 term life insurance
- Ability to purchase Long Term Health Care at discount rates, as well as discounts on Cancer Insurance and Accident Insurance
- Discount on registration fees for the National Athletic Directors Conference in addition LTI classes, certification and other services
- Opportunities to serve on national committees
- Support, communication and informational materials regarding key issues, through interpretation, best practices, research, explanation and education
- Opportunity to nominate students from your school for the NIAAA Scholarship annually
- Opportunity for national recognition through the NIAAA Awards Program
- Possibilities of CEU’s and graduate credit through the LTI Program.
MIAAA State Conference
The MIAAA State Conference is held each April at Tan Tar A at Lake of the Ozarks. This conference includes: LTC courses, workshops, Keynote Speaker, District Meetings, MSHSAA Meeting, MIAAA Business Meeting, and some relaxation and great networking among the athletic directors from across the state. You sign up for this conference when you pay your membership dues online.
National Athletic Director Conference
The National Athletic Director Conference is sponsored by the NIAAA and NFHS and is held each year in December. The location changes each year. The conference includes: LTC courses, workshops, NIAAA business meetings, Keynote Speakers, Section meetings, and some relaxation and networking among athletic directors from not only across the nation, but also internationally. Sign up for this conference is done on the NIAAA web page.
The MIAAA offers resources on this web page for all athletic directors. It is recommended that you take advantage of these resources, along with others offered on the NFHS and NIAAA web pages.
Click here for the 10 Things AD's should expect from Coaches
Click here for an AD Survival Guide
Mentor Coordinator Contact Information:
Jen Brooks, CMAA firstname.lastname@example.org 314-984-2809